Sunday, February 2, 2014

72 Hour Media Fast!

I completed the 72 hour media from 12pm Thursday afternoon to 12pm on Sunday. Participating in this fast was definitely a challenge. I certainly knew that technology and social media were ingrained into my life, but I never paid attention to how much I require it to stay occupied at all times. I managed to go without media for all (most) of the 72 hours. Some of the more difficult moments were those in which I would normally play a game on my phone while waiting for someone or check Facebook before a class started. However, the most difficult part was the silence while driving in the car. It has become instinct for me to plug in my phone as soon as I get in the car that I had to stop myself half way through the process. And, because of the absence of music, I spent most of the car ride singing to myself to fill the silence. In this way, I realized how much I rely on media to keep me constantly occupied. So, due to the fast, I had to find other ways to occupy myself during these three days. During a time when I would normally watch Netflix, I took apart my roommates alarm clock (to her dismay) to see how it worked. I also took apart her camera in order to fix a part of it that I broke last year. At other moments of boredom I spent my time reading or trying to go places around Wilmington. After having completed this fast, I am not sure if I should be glad media is always there to distract me or worried about how much of a necessity it has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment