Monday, February 3, 2014

Synesthesia and Cymatics

   The designs created through cymatics are very unique and interesting. I especially liked the designs created when vibrating sand on a sheet of metal and how they continue to change with each note. Seeing the pattern created by different notes and pitches makes music appear more complicated than it did before. Visualizing sounds through the patterns they create seems to draw me into the music even more.

   I found synesthesia to be even more interesting than cymatics. It find it very interesting that some individuals see certain letters and numbers as being associated with a certain color. I really like the idea of chromesthesia, or sounds triggering colors. The article described the sensation as colored fireworks that appear at certain sounds. The idea that an individual would see such images while listening to a symphony is fascinating. I can see why artists would be interested in capturing such a sensation. I would love to explore the creation of images and colors through sounds on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment